This is a newly created senior management role responsible for the Engineering Department based at Clays Ltd, Bungay, Suffolk. This is a challenging but exciting role in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
To be successful you will need to be a people person who is capable of using the existing strong team to build a department fit for purpose for the future. There will also be a very strong focus on Health and Safety working with the senior management team and Clays’ Health and Safety Advisor.
- Regularly review departmental performance and recommend to Operations Director / Operational Managers ways to improve the engineering effectiveness and business outcomes.
- Build a high performing and productive engineering team; in particular, to take responsibility for coaching, mentoring and development of staff.
- Set and communicate clear and well understood team targets and communicate progress made.
- Monitor performance in the department and to take action, when necessary, to improve performance levels.
- Ensure all planned and unplanned maintenance is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Investigate and minimise as far as possible breakdowns and repeat engineering defects.
- Ensure that compliance systems are robust, and all activities are well documented to meet with any internal and external audit requirements.
- Regularly monitor repairs expenditure and recommend solutions that provide the best value for money.
- Oversee the procurement of parts and manage stock levels, in conjunction with the Engineering Stores Manager.
- Actively be involved with capital projects.
- Ensure that the correct allocation of resources is in place to support both the production and project needs as appropriate.
- Ensure that all external contractors involved in machinery and site maintenance, work in a safe manner and in accordance with their submitted RAMS & company health and safety requirements.
- Take an active role in the Departmental Health and Safety meetings, keep members updated of key issues and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Design and develop the yearly departmental health and safety plan owning all actions within it.
- Instil and maintain a strong health and safety culture amongst the Engineering team and to lead by example in all aspects of this.
- Minimum of a HNC in an Engineering discipline.
- Managerial qualification or relevant experience.
- National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety [NEBOSH or equivalent NQF Level 6].
- Environmental Management System ISO 14001 Awareness [Desirable]
- Leadership skills
- People management
- Decision making
- Planning and organising
- Influence and impact
- Attention to detail
- Cultural change
- Computer literacy
- Budgetary control
- Project management
- Communication skills
- Time management
We have been operating for over 200 years, producing some of the most well-known and best-selling books in the UK, providing an invaluable service to a range of publishing clients. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic we have remained strong and recruiting throughout. We look forward to welcoming you to our business.
If you are interested in applying for this role please send both your covering letter and CV either by post or email to:
Vikki Edwards (HR Administrator) – Clays Ltd, Popson Street, Bungay, Suffolk NR35 1ED
Closing Date: 18th October 2021